Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Nam Seng Chopboard

GPS Coordinate: N2°11.8466′ E102°14.9048′

Ever wondering how the chopboard (aka cutting board or whateva you call it) at our kitchen comes from or how it was process? Well, the other objective that we came to Malacca is to buy the board. But why all the way to Malacca where this can be easily purchased in other places?

Well, I came across the shop while I was on my business trip to Malacca, and it so happened that I passed by this shop. Since I'm planning to get one, and my sister also the same, so I suggested to come here and buy. I always believe that the board made in the old fashion way would always last longer. I does take a while for us to find this shop, as I've forgotten the road leading to this shop.

We were greeted by the owner which is an elderly man. He is very friendly, and explaining to us the way he make the chopboard, the wood he selected etc. When we entered the shop, it was full with the wood. It needs to be cut into pieces before the smoothen process take place. There will be lot of dust when smoothen the board surface. The residue will be collected and sell to those shop making joss sticks.

The elderly man also thought us how to take care of the chopboard, how to clean and dry it in order to avoid of getting fungus. Besides that, he also recommend us to buy other product from the wood. He told us that the wood would produce some kind of aroma that prevent the mosquito from coming.

Overall, it's an new experience for us and thanks to the elderly man for the knowledge sharing with us.

No comments:

Post a Comment